PASSIVE HOUSE CALIFORNIA
FALL SYMPOSIUM 2013
BUILDING C A R B O N Z E R O MARIN
IMPLEMENTING ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN MARIN'S BUILDING SECTOR
The mission of Passive House California is to educate the public about Passive House building performance standard, to help create healthy, comfortable, energy- and resource-efficient buildings and communities.
What Is Passive House?
Passive House represents today's highest energy standard, with the promise of reducing the energy consumption of buildings by up to 80% while providing superior comfort and air quality -- all at minimal additional upfront cost. When coupled with renewable energy systems, such as solar, Passive House puts true zero energy buildings within reach.
Benefits of Passive House
- Low Energy Use: Up to 90% less heating and cooling energy use, and 60-80% overall energy savings
- High Quality Indoor Air: Controlled ventilation for a continuous, consistent supply of fresh air
- Comfortable Indoor Temperature: 20ºC/68ºF
- Operational and Construction Savings: Vastly reduced utility bills; elimination of conventional HVAC system; much smaller solar systems required to reach zero energy; durable, tight building shell for lower maintenance, etc.
- Proven Sustainability: 40,000+ buildings worldwide, some zero and even positive energy.
- Accurate climate- and site-specific energy modeling with Passive House Planning Package (PHPP)
- Minimization of thermal bridges
- High-performance windows and doors
- Optimized passive solar design (solar gain in winter, shading in summer)
- Airtight shell with mechanical heat recovery ventilation