The mission of Passive House California is to educate the public about Passive House building performance standard, to help create healthy, comfortable, energy- and resource-efficient buildings and communities.
What Is Passive House?
Passive House represents today's highest energy standard, with the promise of reducing the energy consumption of buildings by up to 80% while providing superior comfort and air quality -- all at minimal additional upfront cost. When coupled with renewable energy systems, such as solar, Passive House puts true zero energy buildings within reach.
Benefits of Passive House
- Low Energy Use: Up to 90% less heating and cooling energy use, and 60-80% overall energy savings
- High Quality Indoor Air: Controlled ventilation for a continuous, consistent supply of fresh air
- Comfortable Indoor Temperature: 20ºC/68ºF
- Operational and Construction Savings: Vastly reduced utility bills; elimination of conventional HVAC system; much smaller solar systems required to reach zero energy; durable, tight building shell for lower maintenance, etc.
- Proven Sustainability: 40,000+ buildings worldwide, some zero and even positive energy.
- Accurate climate- and site-specific energy modeling with Passive House Planning Package (PHPP)
- Minimization of thermal bridges
- High-performance windows and doors
- Optimized passive solar design (solar gain in winter, shading in summer)
- Airtight shell with mechanical heat recovery ventilation
BUILDING C A R B O N Z E R O MARIN
IMPLEMENTING ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN MARIN'S BUILDING SECTOR
PASSIVE HOUSE CALIFORNIA
FALL SYMPOSIUM 2013